Monday, January 31, 2011

Red Dot Design Museum

This building on Maxwell Road holds very dear memories for me because my late father used to work in this building when it was the Headquarters of the Traffic Police. I think he was based there for a short period of time and I remember going with him into his office there, I must have been about five years old.

Now it has got a new lease of life as the Red Dot Design Museum. I am glad the wrecking ball didn't get to this old dame the way the old National Library and the National Theatre went.

The Museum shop carries some really cool stuff like the Photo Curator and the best part about this place that I like is the flea market on the first weekend of every month (when there is also free admission to the museum). This is a really high quality market which only admits sellers who sell handmade items. You can get unique and gorgeous things like fabric journal covers, customised key chains, knitted scarfs, origami earrings (see picture below) and other accessories. I am definitely going back to the market to get some more special gifts for some special people.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, happy to have just discovered your blog. I have always wondered if there was more to Singapore than chilli crab ;) I look forward to visiting later in the year, keep the posts coming!!

    ReplyDelete